Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

"A Lost Child, But Not Mine"

I'm a frequent reader of the New York Times' "Modern Love" section. Typically, I find the reflections sobering and hauntingly real. At the same time, I am generally frustrated by the conclusions -- "my truth" is true, there's nothing better out there, love is whatever I make it, etc.

Today, I was quite struck by the latest submission, "A Lost Child, But Not Mine" which strikingly captures the pain of a post-abortive woman. It's not written with an agenda on the margins, but rather with the capacity to articulate one woman's regret over lost motherhood. And it's in the New York Times, which will make for many readers.

Here's a particularly heart-wrenching line:

I drew my lips to match his cheery expression even though I felt shorted. I had graduated with honors, seen the first book I edited published with my name in microscopic print, and been accepted to an Ivy League graduate program. I kept trying to secure the next accomplishment that would make my decision worthwhile.

Read the whole reflection here.

There is help available for post-abortive women and men. Check out these resources: here, here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment