Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

"Commitment is Fulfillment"


A brave student at the University of Michigan, Jeffrey McMahon, recently shared his thoughts on masculinity, femininity and the hook-up culture in the student newspaper.
I subscribed to this so-called “Hook-up Culture.” As an underclassman, if you found me out on a Saturday night, I’d be the one holding a Gatorade bottle full of vodka coming home drunk and trying to remember the name of the girl that I just made out with. I slept with four different women during my first three years on campus and rarely made the claim that any of them were my “girlfriend." I bought in to all of the hype, but did so without ever reading the fine print. I wasn’t ever told that I would cause a young girl to cry her heart out in front of me while feeling completely numb myself. The world kindly left out the deep emptiness I could always feel the morning after, the same feeling that I’d just pretend wasn’t there. There was no mention of the walk up to a pharmacy counter hoping for the best, but fearing my luck had come to an end. This is the reality that comes with the bright lights and shining glory of “hooking up."

Read the rest at Creative Minority Report.  It's a reminder that we are all called to more, that good men do exist and that our culture is losing its ability to authentically love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment