Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2012

The War on Women

Kristine Cranley, a fellow graduate of the John Paul II Institute, has been studying St. Edith Stein's writings on women this summer.  She begins sharing the fruit of her labors in this blog post about the "war on women."  It's long, but well worth the time, especially for women to continue to learn who we are and who God calls us to be.

Just to get you started:

The claim that there is a ‘war on women’ going on is a serious accusation.  According to the news, women everywhere are under attack by the Catholic Church because of their refusal to pay for women’s contraception and abortion.  As a woman who works for the Catholic Church, these assertions affect me directly, because the accusers claim to be speaking in my name in their attack of my Church.  I have had to ask myself seriously whether I am truly under attack, and by whom?  Are Catholicism and Femininity intrinsically opposed to each other such that one is incompatible with the other?
The question has forced me to ask even deeper questions regarding the nature of femininity itself.  What does it mean to be a woman?  Are women essentially different than men or the same? Is there an ideal of femininity toward which I am supposed to strive?  What do I need in order to flourish and find fulfillment as a woman?  Do contraception and abortion help me to reach this fulfillment or distance me from it? 


Find it all here.

No comments:

Post a Comment