Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

"Making the Domestic Church Beautiful"

My latest article on the Archdiocese of Cincinnati's "Being Catholic" blog appears today --


As we unpacked piles of boxes in our first place together, my husband and I began with the practical items we knew were necessary for daily life – towels, dishes, lamps.  But amidst the rush to find the practical, I found myself more eager to uncover a tablecloth, placemats, cloth napkins, the salt and pepper shaker and other kitchen table items to set a beautiful table for breakfast. Why would a nice table matter when the rest of the apartment looked like an obstacle course of cardboard, bubble wrap and wedding cards?  Because beauty is proper to a home.
In the months during engagement, I was surprised to find myself questioning why people have “nice things” or decorate a home.  What about a spirit of poverty, I thought.  What about detachment to earthly things and a longing for heaven?  Why have cloth napkins when death is inevitable, and in heaven we might realize that paper towels could have worked just fine?

Read the rest here.

No comments:

Post a Comment