Pages

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Rather than stick our heads in the sand, what do we do?

Emily Stimpson has a great new column -- "A Catholic's Guide to Surviving the End of the World as We Know It."
Does anyone else feel like one night, not too long ago, they went to bed in a reasonably normal world and woke up to a world scripted by Albert Camus?

My hand’s up. Way, way up. I know I’m still supposed to be bubbling over with Easter joy (and believe me, I’m doing my due diligence in the chocolate-eating department), but the culture’s rapid and violent pivot to absurdism has me too disoriented for bubbling. Spinning is more like it.

I mean, we’ve got George Washington University students trying to get their Newman Center’s chaplain removed because, well, he’s Catholic; Johns Hopkins University won’t recognize a student pro-life group because that might make other students uncomfortable; and suddenly anyone who has the temerity to say marriage is a relationship between a man and a woman is a crazed, fundamentalist bigot who probably tortures small puppies behind closed doors.

Oh, and people in all seriousness are arguing on Facebook that a government that can’t even pay its electrical bill should fund research on duck genitalia.

Spinning, spinning, spinning.

So, how do we, as Catholics, respond to the madness? Guns? Ammo? Canned goods?

Um, no.

1. Get Married.

Seriously. It all starts here. As Pope Benedict said not long ago, there is “a clear link between the crisis in faith and the crisis in marriage.” He then went on to point out that “marriage is called to be not only an object but a subject of the New Evangelization.”

Read the rest of #1, along with her other four recommendations here.  (And if you're response to #1 is, "I wish I was married!" keep reading, because Emily Stimpson is talking to you too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment