Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

An open letter to Melinda Gates


A Nigerian woman, Obianuju Ekeocha, recently penned an open letter to Melinda Gates about the $4.6 million "legacy" that Mrs. Gates wishes to leave Africa. It's an excellent read:
http://www.catholic.org/national/national_story.php?id=47264&page=1
I see this $4.6 billion buying us misery. I see it buying us unfaithful husbands. I see it buying us streets devoid of the innocent chatter of children. I see it buying us disease and untimely death. I see it buying us a retirement without the tender loving care of our children.

Please Melinda, listen to the heart-felt cry of an African woman and mercifully channel your funds to pay for what we REALLY need.

She also describes the current culture in her home country as one far more open to love and life than our own:
The first day of every baby's life is celebrated by the entire village with dancing (real dancing!) and clapping and singing - a sort of "Gloria in excelsis Deo." 

All I can say with certainty is that we, as a society, LOVE and welcome babies.


With all the challenges and difficulties of Africa, people complain and lament their problems openly. I have grown up in this environment and I have heard women (just as much as men) complain about all sorts of things. But I have NEVER heard a woman complain about her baby (born or unborn).


Even with substandard medical care in most places, women are valiant in pregnancy. And once the baby arrives, they gracefully and heroically rise into the maternal mode.

It really is a good read. You can find the entire letter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment