Pages

Thursday, March 22, 2012

"It's all about the bride!"

My debut with the Archdiocese of Cincinnati's new blog, "Being Catholic" appears today:

My fiancé and I stepped up to the customer service desk and simply said, “We need to begin our wedding registry.” Immediately the sales clerk beamed a smile and said with great enthusiasm, “Congratulations!” She proceeded to pick up the phone and to announce over the intercom in a voice that resembled that of a woman who has just been given a free trip to Hawaii – “Sales associates, we have a bride at the customer service desk! Please accompany her to the wedding registry.”

I’m not the type who likes attention, but what bothered me more than the intercom announcement was the fact that she had only said “the bride” was at the counter. Clearly, I had not arrived alone.

I whispered something about this to my fiancé, who then said to the sales clerk, “What about me? I’m here too.”

The sales clerk smiled again and then shook her head and said, “Yes, but it’s all about the bride, you know. If you don’t know that yet, you’ll see.”

It’s an attitude I have confronted in every wedding-oriented decision thus far, but it’s an attitude that couldn’t lead me further from the reality of getting married.


Read the rest at "Being Catholic."

No comments:

Post a Comment