Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

An interesting perspective on redefined marriage

I recently came across a Public Discourse article entitled, "I Am Gay and I Oppose Same-Sex Marriage." The experience of the author, Doug Mainwaring, is fairly unique for several reasons. He shares his perspective of the topic here. A quick preview:
Over the last couple of years, I’ve found our decision to rebuild our family ratified time after time. One day as I turned to climb the stairs I saw my sixteen-year-old son walk past his mom as she sat reading in the living room. As he did, he paused and stooped down to kiss her and give her a hug, and then continued on. With two dads in the house, this little moment of warmth and tenderness would never have occurred. My varsity-track-and-football-playing son and I can give each other a bear hug or a pat on the back, but the kiss thing is never going to happen. To be fully formed, children need to be free to generously receive from and express affection to parents of both genders. Genderless marriages deny this fullness.

There are perhaps a hundred different things, small and large, that are negotiated between parents and kids every week. Moms and dads interact differently with their children. To give kids two moms or two dads is to withhold from them someone whom they desperately need and deserve in order to be whole and happy. It is to permanently etch “deprivation” on their hearts.

Read the entire article here to learn more about his perspective on the topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment