Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

What kind of obligation is it?

Campus minister extraordinaire, Kristen Rainey, takes on the topic of Sunday Mass obligation in a recent blog post.  


It was during this time that I started to appreciate and understand the beauty of the Mass. I started seeing the Mass not as an obligation of boring rules, but as an obligation of happiness.  If I want to be truly happy, I need the Mass.  Why?  Because I was made to love and be loved - that is my purpose, and yours, as a human being made in God's image.  And the Mass is where the greatest exchange of love between God and humanity is made present to each of us personally and communally.  God who is Love itself and who loves you perfectly comes to prove his love for you and beseeches you to love him back because your heart was made for nothing less. 


Kristen's reflections include an inspiring story of a 16 year old girl who chose not to  attend the American Legion Girls' State event in Florida because they would not allow her to leave to attend Mass across the street. 

No comments:

Post a Comment