Pages

Sunday, September 18, 2011

An archbishop reflects on World Youth Day

Archbishop Timothy Dolan, who was such a joy to watch and listen to at World Youth Day in Madrid, shares his thoughts of the experience over at Catholic Exchange. His joy and enthusiasm for the youth is contagious!

Just got back from Madrid, the fifth World Youth Day I’ve been to. I feel as if I’ve got a million-and-a-half new friends from all over the world.

That’s how many young people packed the magnificent, sun-baked capital of Spain. To a person, these Catholic youth were beaming with joy, radiating exuberance, proud to be followers of Jesus, members of His Church.

“We’ve been dreading this,” confessed a resident of Madrid next to me at a coffee counter. Between his imperfect English and my lousy Spanish, we had a decent chat.

“We’ve been worried these young people would be noisy, disruptive, obnoxious. But, they’ve won me over with their happiness, their courtesy, their faith.”

Read it all here.

No comments:

Post a Comment